It was all very cool. They had watched a ton of film on me. 4.57 40-yard dash per pro day measurements. Call 1-800-GAMBLER. One of fastest rising LB in 2021 draft is @BoilerFootball Derrick Barnes. JM: This has been terrific, Derrick. Hes always been a role model of mine. He believes his eyes to react quickly and make the play. Washed out and caught in traffic in the middle of the field. Tim Twentyman shares his observations from Day 2 of prospect availability at the 2023 NFL Scouting Combine. Barnes ran an official 40-yard dash time of 4.57 and registered 29 repetitions on the 225lbs bench press. 2023 Detroit Lions, Ltd. I played on the offense growing up. This is a tackle for a loss on a speedy RB on a pass to the flat by a burly ILB with great speed and play reading ability. The Lions drafted Barnes out of Purdue in the fourth round, at No. I showed up on time every day and held guys accountable. He doesnt overreact to the RB pressing the hole. He is patient. Defensive coordinator Aaron Glenn spoke with reporters at the 2023 NFL Scouting Combine about what to expect from the Detroit Lions' defense in 2023. By the numbers: 6'0", 238 pounds. An all-state running back in high school . As such, 40 times are a big-time topic of conversation every year during the NFL Combine. Barnes is a sudden player who has excellent burst to the ball. ILB; Senior; 6-0, 238 lbs; Purdue; Scouts Grade; Position Rank; Overall Rank; Arm Length 33-3/8" Hand Size 9-3/4" 40-YD Dash 4.57; Conference TBD; 2021 Draft Pick Info. Day 3 picks whose strong camp/preseasons were predictable after spending week with them at. The time traveled between the 20 and 40 yard lines is known as the Flying Twenty. If you could pick the brain of any NFL defender, past or present, who would it be and why? I had to be a vocal leader on the field. Copyright 2023 Sporting News Holdings Limited. In Barnes 4 years at Purdue, he had 2 defensive coordinators and played in 3 different positions. I thought about it for a little bit and told myself that sometimes you have to take routes you didnt expect if you wanna get where you wanna go. Earlier, you mentioned that you see yourself as an inside linebacker because of your ability to play physical. 40 Low: 4.54 40 Time: 4.58 40 High: 4.65 > Projected Round: 6 Stock: Combine Results. I was announced as a starter and my role changed. Derrick Barnes. 31.0/100. He is a very lean but muscular player who packs a wallop when he tackles. Markus Bailey was still there as well. DB: Speaking with all 32 teams at the Senior Bowl, some of them see me as an inside linebacker and others see me as an outside linebacker. [8], Barnes was drafted in the fourth round, 113th overall, by the Detroit Lions in the 2021 NFL Draft. I had never done anything like that before. @seniorbowl. Below are the 20 fastest unofficial 40-yard dash times recorded during the 2021 NFL pro day circuit. Where Rondale Moore did improve is his overall prospect ranking. March 7, 2022. I have a great respect for the way he approached the game. I wanna be one of those guys that come in and become a leader. Lacks fluidity to hold up in space or drop in coverage. . Clocking a fast 40-yard dash doesn't guarantee that you'll have a successful NFL career. Purdue. After his Pro Day, Derrick Barnes could see his rankings jump to 16th or 17th ranked linebacker prospect. No. 40.00 Nike SPARQ 111.42 . As the distance is also known, we can calculate . Hes faster, stronger, more agile, and has a much less concerning injury history. We use cookies and other tracking technologies to improve your browsing experience on our site, show personalized content and targeted ads, analyze site traffic, and understand where our audiences come from. Jay Biggerstaff-USA TODAY Sports . Purdue WR Rondale Moore ran an unofficial 4.29 40-yard dash, and jumped 42.5" inches in the vertical, helping him earn a 99 athleticism score according the NGS draft model. Production Score: 69 Athleticism Score: 99 Overall Score: 84 https://t.co/S6vMYfAnvE pic.twitter.com/A04TpkrE9a. Aug 29, 2021. My junior year came around and the coaches asked me to play defensive end all year long. Since 2001, made Public in 2003, Draft Scout has been the Gold Standard Industry Leading Database Build for Compiling & Charting College Football Prospects from Prep to Pro. Follow full coverage of Derrick Barnes during the 2021 NFL Draft on ESPN.com. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); 2023 Draft Network. Had a career high of 11 tackles for loss in 2019. Kanon Catchings Receives 5 Star Rating from 24/7, The Brownsburg junior made a huge leap in the most recent rankings into the top 20, Freshman Lilly Stoddard Places Name into Transfer Portal, The 63 Freshman from Crown Point announced her intentions via Instagram after just 1 season with the Boilers, Purdue Football: Jalen Graham Combine Results. This next play is where Barnes shows his true value as a hard nosed run stuffer that makes the offense one dimensional. His ability to read the play then commit with such decisive conviction is what makes him look like a torpedo in search of a target. His frame fits the profile of an NFL Mike and he may have upped his stock in that role at the Senior Bowl. His 20-yard shuttle time was 4.27 and due to cramping issues Derrick Barnes was unable to perform the 3-cone drill. I am not advocating that Barnes replace Mosley but he could be a monster player inside alongside Mosley. Catch up on all the news from the Combine media sessions with general manager Brad Holmes & head coach Dan Campbell. He was a great running back and linebacker in high school who had an over a 10 yards per rush average and 22 TDs as a senior RB and over 125 tackles as a linebacker. . HT 6003WT 238Hand 9 6/8Arm 33 3/8 Wing 81 3/840-yard 4.57 (NFL ) VJ 37.0BJ 9-11BP 29 pic.twitter.com/QqaDRCZH9S. With no true combine this year, his pro day may have moved him up to a round 3 selection. Purdue turned to senior defensive end Semisi Fakasiieiki to make what may have been a mid-season jump to linebacker to fill in. Past Rankings Listed Out. Barnes is a terrific blitzer from his time as a defensive end and could immediately . JM: I want to move on to your time at Purdue. He ran a 4.58 40, had a 37 inch vertical and a 9-11 broad jump. Moore also registered a 42.5" vertical leap. . Others see me as an inside linebacker. Front multiplicity is all the rage when it comes to todays defenses. . He will still need to develop over time but he is a quality player who is being overlooked by the Draft community because he played at Purdue. I was known as an aggressive player (laughs). They wanted to know more about the player I am. Michael Joseph Alstott (born December 21, 1973), is an American former professional football player who was a fullback in the National Football League (NFL) for 12 seasons with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Watch highlights of Derrick Barnes from his college career at Purdue.Subscribe to the Lions YT Channel: https://bit.ly/2OABzdxMore Lions NFL Action: https://. Gambling problem? . From ProFootballNetwork.com, they stated this on Barnes. Rondale Moore scored a 69 in production and a 99 in athleticism, which is how he got the overall score of 84. Barnes' versatility is an asset, and can be used to find a way to get him on the field. He does have 10 touchdowns, but he hasn't been the dynamic, Tyreek Hill-type deep threat that the Bengals hoped they were getting. He's a little limited, a little tight in space. The fake sweep to the right is ignored by Barnes as he sees two receivers to the right and a RB sliding out to that same side. Showed edge rush ability as junior with 7.5 sacks and SL-to-SL speed playing off the ball this . Projected Round (2024): 2-4 View Ranking History. Derrick Barnes has 25 tackles, including 4.5 tackles for loss, the last five games to give the Boilermakers' defense a lift off the edge News Purdue Opinion Sports Life Obituaries eNewspaper Legals I improved technique-wise and I put up some great sack numbers. He moved to inside linebacker in 2020. 1991 NFL Combine Results. By choosing I Accept, you consent to our use of cookies and other tracking technologies. Wraps up tackling and brings down bigger ball handlers or tight ends in space. The Cougars went on another run after the break, this time a 10-2 one. Senior. I helped bring the young guys along. It was great to be coached by the Miami Dolphins staff at practice. Getty Derrick Barnes rushes the passer for Purdue. Bio: From 2017-19 he started 20 of the 39 games he played in as a pass-rushing outside linebacker. 1994 NFL Combine Results. This game has made me who I am today as a man. 1996 NFL Combine Results. Detroit Lions (NFL), #55. [13], During the 11th Annual NFL Honors on February 10, 2022, NFL veteran and 2021 Walter Payton NFL Man of the Year Award winner Andrew Whitworth told a story about himself and Barnes reuniting after a 2021 Week 7 game between the Los Angeles Rams and Detroit Lions; Barnes approached Whitworth after the game to thank him for his earlier mentorship through Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Cincinnati.[14]. The Lions picked up Purdue linebacker Derrick Barnes with the 113th pick, after trading up to get him. It is highly recommended that you use the latest versions of a supported browser in order to receive an optimal viewing experience. Mock Draft Machine Beta Testing Has Begun! Tim Twentyman's take: A three-year starter at Purdue, Barnes was an inside linebacker playing in a hybrid 3-4 scheme. According to ESPN draft analyst Jim Nagy, Purdue's Derrick Barnes is moving up NFL draft boards after a superb performance at the Senior Bowl. 70.7%. This is near elite skills shown by a burly tough guy who can play multiple positions. Here we track how a given prospect has done in our positional rankings over the last 12 months or so. It was cool. The Lions currently have Alex Anzalone, Jamie Collins, Jahlani Tavai, Jalen Reeves-Maybin, Shaun Dion Hamilton, and Anthony Pittman rostered at the linebacker position. which was cancelled, it still would be a fast time if adjusted. A 4 year starter at Purdue, Derrick Barnes was placed all over the field. Derrick Barnes, Linebacker As a senior at Purdue, Barnes recorded 54 total tackles, including 40 solo stops. Barnes is a sure wrap tackler who has missed only 22 tackling attempts in 245 career attempts. Pick: Round 4, pick 113 . Just ask John Ross, who famously logged a 4.19-second 40-yard dash and went on to be the No. DB: It was always taught to me. Derrick Barnes. 112, the Lions took Amon-Ra St. Brown, a receiver from USC, with the seventh pick in the fourth round to open Day 3.. Barnes is a senior from Covington, Kentucky, listed at 6 feet and 238 pounds. PositionRank (LB) 4.57. Derrick Barnes is a tough, hard nosed linebacker prospect who is an exceptional athlete with speed, power and great length. He will be a day 3 steal and make a NFL team very happy for many years. You must have developed a special level of trust with the coaching staff at Purdue for them to ask you to play a different role on a yearly basis. He was already in the talks as a day 3 steal, then came his pro day. Barnes is an intriguing defensive player who started his college career as a defensive end and shifted over to more of a coverage linebacker role by the end of his time with the Boilermakers. https://lionswire.usatoday.com/2021/05/01/lions-draft-derrick-barnes-roster-fit-breakdown-scouting-report/, One free agent each NFL team should re-sign in 2023, Brian Branch solidified his Lions draft stock at the NFL Scouting Combine, Lions meet with Jamaal Williams' agent at the Combine hoping for a deal, Lions meet with UNC wideout Antoine Green at the NFL Scouting Combine, Lions expecting big growth from the young defensive core, Stay or go: Predicting the fate of the Lions free agents in 2023, Expect the Lions to be very selective in the draft process, Your California Privacy Rights/Privacy Policy. Derrick Barnes is competing for a role in a crowded room of linebackers who could end up sharing playing time in the Detroit Lions' defense. He played Inside Linebacker, Outside Linebacker and Defensive End. Barnes' 40 was 4.57 seconds, vertical 37 inches, shuttle 4.32 seconds and bench press was 29 reps at 225 pounds. He is more power than agility so he isnt going to be a player who can turn and run with swift TE in coverage. Measurables: Height: 6-1 (31%*) Weight: 245 (71%*) *Percentile calculated on how any given stat would rank at the NFL combine historically in the player's position group (Higher value represents better .