This was a fairly interesting story which needed a plot twist or two for a better rating. Good gangster movie set in the world of taxis. Music to the ears! He was my main reason for seeing 'Taxi' in the first place, as well as my love for classic film, which has been present for many years, and that it was recommended to me by many fans of Cagney. See all 3 formats and editions. with the US in occupation in Iraq, any aura or . Create. Brief content visible, double tap to read full content. . |-- Editorials & Other Articles The bottom line is that too often, Cagney plays a big jerk and it's hard to feel any connection or care about him. The plot line is a bit fractured, zipping from cab wars, to romance, to murder, and all that jazz. For more info, please read our affiliate disclosure, Avi Gupta defeated Jackson Jones on a tiebreaker. They whisper and decide totake a guess.] Although his famous line "You Dirty Rat" was misquoted in a later scene, within the first five minutes, when Cagney's Taxi is wedged between two rival cabs, he gets out and mumbles words that sound very much like, "You dirty rat." Damn. To calculate the overall star rating and percentage breakdown by star, we dont use a simple average. Yarn is the best search for video clips by quote. The third part of this film starts at the "Cotton Pickers Club" where we see, if briefly, an interesting floor show/dance number followed soon after by the stabbing death of Nolan's brother after Nolan has a confrontation with a man from Consolidated who was behind the attempted takeover of Pop Riley's taxi corner. What got them there however, and what ensues is a somewhat haphazard mess of a story, though memorable for a lot of great scenes and characterizations, not the least of which is a quick appearance by George Raft during a dance contest! is a 1932 film starring James Cagney and Loretta Young, made after Cagney's big success in "Public Enemy." Well, except when people incorrectly quote Jimmy Cagney and say, "You dirty rat, you killed my brother." He never actually said that. The film includes a famous, and often misquoted, line with Cagney speaking to his brother's killer through a locked closet: "Come out and take it, you dirty yellow-bellied rat, or I'll give it to you through the door!" This of course is not the classic sitcom Taxi (Tankyouveddymuch) or the Jimmy Fallon turkey-burger of 2004 but an early Warner Bros crime-romance-action-drama, the kind of sprawling but contained movie that packs a ton into a short period. It also analyzed reviews to verify trustworthiness. Taxi! Instead, our system considers things like how recent a review is and if the reviewer bought the item on Amazon. , Label Second part of the film takes a sudden turn into a romance between Sue and independent cab driver Matt Nolan (played by James Cagney), a conceited tough guy with a very bad temper, a constant chip on his shoulder and an urge to hit everyone who does him the slightest wrong. the subject line is often used by Jimmy Cagney impersonators . Any sabungero or chicken man will tell you that there are only two kinds of chicken that cackle or make so much noise: the one that is being caught or the one that lays an egg. do you want to express its size? You've all seen those old movies? For one thing the plot relied heavily on the ease of moving back and forth between East and West Berlin. The '30s were a time when much of what was seen in theater and film reflected the plight of the blue-collar worker. Nice day for a murder." is an earlier instance of James Cagney playing a character who calls somebody a "dirty rat". And just what did Jimmy Cagney say that gave us the legend of his "dirty rat" quote. The worst part is, Nolan threatens to hit Sue in the face multiple times during the film - and she marries him anyway (what a dope she is!). Of course you know that Cagney is the good Irish son of New York City leading the independents against the strong arm tactics of David Landau. The is the source of Cagney's famous "dirty rat" quote. LLC, " with the US in occupation in Iraq, any aura or taint of US imposed justice will only fan the flames of civil war", General Discussion: Presidential (Through Nov 2009), http://today.reuters.com/News/newsArticle.aspx?type=topNews&storyID=2005-12-04T180426Z_01_SIB465037_RTRUKOC_0_US-IRAQ-SADDAM-JUDGE.xml. TAXI (Warner Brothers, 1932), directed by Roy Del Ruth, is not so much a tribute on the day in the life of taxi drivers and the involvement with their passengers, but solely on an individual cabbie out to avenge his brother's killer. You're the guy who sent up my brother!" And he's got a leather jacket and a scarf around his neck climbing into a plane. User Ratings is a 1932 American pre-Code film directed by Roy Del Ruth and starring James Cagney and Loretta Young. Crazy Credits I love Cagney and I love old Warner Brothers films, but this one is pure corn, "I wouldn't go for that dame if she was the last woman on Earth and I just got out of the Navy. 2023's Most Anticipated Sequels, Prequels, and Spin-offs. The movie takes us through the streets and into the ballrooms and apartments of depression era New York. Cagneys dead body shows up in the end, bound in a standing position at the door of the bad guys kinda like a bad knock-knock joke. Help others learn more about this product by uploading a video! And in the opening chapter of the Hound of the Baskervilles, Sherlock Holmes commented to Dr. Watson that the problem of Dr. Mortimer's walking stick was "Interesting, though elementary". : But it was really the film The Public Enemy - which also featuring Joan - that solidified Jimmy as the tough talking hoodlum, particularly after the scene where he smashes a grapefruit into Mae Clarke's face. June 22, 2014. from Reservoir Dogs (1992) But for some reason Hollywood decided to make the play into a movie, retitle it as Sinner's Holiday, and to give Jimmy and Joan the same parts. If its not that then its a fat man in an elevator or most obvious of all Buck Gerrard the big oaf who had a part in the shady tactics that landed Sues father in jail. Jane! Well, except when people incorrectly quote Jimmy Cagney and say, "You dirty rat, you killed my brother." Some think he is actually saying "Your dirty rat!". Here are some of the rat lines Cagney did say in films: Dirty little rat Dirty, double-crossing rat Dirty, yellow-bellied rat And there were pigeons too: Dirty little stool-pigeon Dirty, no-good, yellow-bellied stool pigeon More James Cagney quotes: As Rocky Sullivan in Angels with Dirty Faces (1938) "'Morning, gentlemen. Perfect Strangers (1986) - S01E03 First Date clip with quote You killed my brother, you dirty rat. Copyright 2023. Here are my results for today's Wordle. Forums . The love you/hate you relationship between Cagney and Young is what keeps the movie interesting as the story develops, but the stupid things that Young's character does to keep her man from killing the thug who killed her brother-in-law is too incredible to swallow. Watch the full clip to get the full knowledge, ya see. In fact, I was reminded of the line as I read about the statement of anti-corruption czar Greco Belgica that Congressmen involved in DPWH graft as splashed on the front page of The Philippine STAR. It has reached a point that many government employees compare a House hearing to being a rape victim and being raped again in court proceedings. I would not even discount the possibility that Belgica has thegreen light to shake the tree, perhaps to stop certain politicians from pressuring DPWH to realign, prioritize or create projects for their districts or personal gain. Yeah, I'm fine. It's hard to believe, knowing how iconic Jimmy is today, but it wasn't until he reached the grand old age of 31 that he was cast in his first movie - and not in a bit part either. Kim says North Korea must meet grain production goals 'without fail', North Korean leader Kim Jong Un urged government officials to make sure the country meets its grain production goals "without fail", state media said Thursday,amid reports Pyongyang's food shortage is wor, With Greater China (Macau, Hong Kong and the Mainland), Korea, Japan, Taiwan and the Philippines represented in the EASL Champions Week now on its second day of hostilities here, the eight referees assigned by FIBAr, Beermen, Tropang Giga Japan-bound for EASL stint. But lo and behold, Congressman Mike Defensor rises on the occasion and decries the unfair generalization of Belgicas statement, demanding that the latter name names. YouTube user BrainStuff - How Stuff Works, Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information. Realizing Cody will never be stopped if he knows he's being pursued, authorities plant undercover agent Hank (Edmond O'Brien) in Cody's cell. But hes also back to running off his mouth and throwing his fists because after all, this is the same man that electrified the world with his portrayal of a gangster in William Wellmans Public Enemy (1931) of the previous year. That ending featured a printed warning to the public about what happens to you when you join a gang of hoodlums! By continuing to browse the site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Jimmy Cagney is Matt Nolan, the pugnacious rabble rouser and the little guy with a chip on his shoulder in a role that defines his mannerisms and style as the lovable tough guy. James Cagney is a cabdriver on the streets of New York during the taxi wars, a real-life battle for business that led to almost as much violence and strong-arming as shown in the picture. He does say "You. Rat" for certain. Taxi! Romana Cruz, who cannot stop talking about movies she recently saw. | Cagney is an independent driver trying to rally the other cabbies to fight the big taxi company trying to violently run them all out of business. The origin of this is from the 1931 film Taxi! It's Cagney at his most energetic. Kagny & The Dirty Rats. North Korean leader Kim Jong Un urged government officials to make sure the country meets its grain production goals "without fail", state media said Thursday,amid reports Pyongyang's food shortage is worsening. and one of my favourites is Taxi starring James Cagney. opinions of the individuals who post them, and do not necessarily represent | Discussion Forums | Journals| Store The strong scent of sugar cooking in the boiling vats of a mill here wafted in the air sweet, sour, earthy, pungent. The champions and runners-up of the PBA Philippine Cup, SMB and TNT will go up against teams from Japan, Korea, and Greater China in the regional tiff. She receives the disdain of Nolan for behavior that he sees as selling out her own father. Still for many modern movie aficionados, the acting style of Jimmy and his fellow thespians in his early movies comes off a bit heavy and overdone. For some inexplicable reason, maybe its his animal magnetism, Sue falls for the cad of a cabbie. You killed my brother!" (This was never uttered in any film of James Cagney.) She is every bit as spunky in her effort to stop the vicious rivalry that took the life of her father. But who knows? 1932 - YouTube Cagney, "You dirty rat!" 1932 Lotsacats9 2.08K subscribers Subscribe Share Save 948K views 11 years ago James Cagney never actually said "You dirty rat," but a line. ", Micky's James Cagney impression saying "You dirty rat!". Full content visible, double tap to read brief content. Top subscription boxes right to your door, 1996-2023, Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates, Learn more how customers reviews work on Amazon. Hot New. This is a powerful team of contestants, Three steps for me again today Wordle 622, Old Ship of Zion Quotes: Boardwalk Empire. I think Defensor is also experienced enough to know that the timing of President Dutertes mention of graft in the DPWH involving contractors followed by Belgicas slightly pointed swing at some unnamed congressmen indicates that both President Duterte and Belgica are reading the same reportor sharing the same playbook. The only word that is questionable is dirty, though it does sound like it. ", A Snapshot of a Place and Time**SPOILERS**. His life is all but over. His little girl Sue (Loretta Young) doesn't want to see anyone else suffer the same fate, so when she falls in love with Matt, she does her best to keep his temper under control. However, it is Cagney and Young who shine. |-- Places Consumer goods giant P&G Philippines has expanded its operations in the country as it inaugurated its P864 million production line for diapers to be exported to South Korea and Vietnam. People seem not to notice me most of the time, and the combination of Mastodons, axe throwers and rats usually make it so that I have to do nothing but watch. The black gown Evalyn Knapp wears in the movie-within-a-movie is also worn by her during her final scene in "Smart Money" (1931). As a corporate interest attempts to eliminate all independent cabbies in the city, Cagney recruits a gang to stand up to them - violently. Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window), Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window), Click to email a link to a friend (Opens in new window). It's a typical Thirties Warner Brothers potboiler about a taxi cab conglomerate making war on independent hacks. Theyre the main draw. External Reviews Justice is swift and he is given a prison sentence in lieu of death. Soundtracks. In the opening gag, we see James Cagney using his Yiddish to placate a customer who cant seem to get any help from a policeman. the opinions of Democratic Underground, LLC. You're the guy that killed my brother!" We all know that James "Jimmy" Cagney's most famous line from his sixty-eight motion pictures was "You dirty rat! The incarcerated mans daughter (Young) stands tall as well and calls for action by peaceful means. The premise was an interesting one too. That, though, is the problem of evolving artistic styles coupled with limitations of technology. My opinion is that its purely acoustic on his part. if(typeof ez_ad_units != 'undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[320,50],'democraticunderground_com-medrectangle-1','ezslot_2',177,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-democraticunderground_com-medrectangle-1-0');if(typeof ez_ad_units != 'undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[320,50],'democraticunderground_com-medrectangle-1','ezslot_3',177,'0','1'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-democraticunderground_com-medrectangle-1-0_1'); .medrectangle-1-multi-177{border:none !important;display:block !important;float:none !important;line-height:0px;margin-bottom:7px !important;margin-left:auto !important;margin-right:auto !important;margin-top:7px !important;max-width:100% !important;min-height:50px;padding:0;text-align:center !important;} (Even though he didn't.) The "Killed my brother" follow-through, though, is supposed to be a half-remembered callback to "Public Enemy"--back when we only knew certain iconic old movies from late-night . This item cannot be shipped to your selected delivery location. Mel's impression of James Cagney includes "You dirty rat! It was a big hit for WB in 1932, and is definitely worth a see. Hell never return to the Philippines, said the Thai tourist whose cash was filched by Manila airport security personnel. Plus, the film has so many plot holes and logical errors that I would consider this one of Cagney's worst films. His pre-Code movies, though, seem very modern: They're funny, naughty, touching, and shocking -- sometimes all at once. She's typically pretty and appealing, but hasn't much to play, and you have to endure Leila Bennett as her unbearably droning-on-and-on girlfriend--she plays her all too well. I would basically break this film down into three parts - the movie starts out as a story of independent New York City taxicab drivers up against the Consolidated Cab Company, who are using strong arm tactics to boot the independents out of business. (TV Episode 1966), Daydream Believers: The Monkees Story (TV Movie 2000), "Home Movies" Temporary Blindness (TV Episode 2004), Mel Brooks and Dick Cavett Together Again (TV Special 2011). Your email address will not be published. If Mike Defensor is sincerely slighted by the claim that members of Congress are involved in the DPWH graft, then by all means FIRST investigate it rather than milk it for media mileage. If she can stand it, I can. That's the question this 70 minute little movie asks in reference to hot-head independent cab driver Matt Nolan (James Cagney) and waitress Sue Riley (Loretta Young). In fact, a couple of other government agencies have been under pressure by high ranking officials, both elected and selected, to fast track biddings, favor certain developers or prioritize certain projects to the point that officials in these agencies spend most of their time placating higher ups and dealing with favored parties. Cagney plays such a hot-tempered, unreasonable lout that even this actor's charm and magnetism don't transform him, and you're not really rooting for the two of them to end up together. WAC started as a MOD (manufactured on demand) eCommerce business in 2009 and have released over 2,500 titles spanning from the 1920s to present with distribution outlets that now include wholesale, licensee, and retail partners. You dirty rat, you killed my brother. The film is the source of the "you dirty rat" legend however, as a few scenes later, as Cagney exclaims to the killer, "Come out and take it, you dirty yellow-bellied rat or I'll give it to ya through the door!" But it was also hard to place geographically -- a great thing for geographically ambiguous talkies! In Tarzan the Ape Man, Johnny Weissmuller said "Jane! On display at the news stand scene is the FAR WEST Stories issue #75 Oct 1931. Next, comes a Peabody contest at the nightclub, featuring an appearance by George Raft, where the fiery Cagney tries to wail on his real-life friend. It also causes him to slap Young around and evidently is an excuse to use this picture to hone Cagney's tough-guy image as he defeats the Taxi Union. For Dark Souls II on the PlayStation 3, a GameFAQs message board topic titled "You dirty rat, you killed my brother." - Page 2. It's obvious that this is one of Jimmy Cagney's earlier films, as he never would have been handed a script quite this cheap and clichd if it had been done just a few years later. Sues fellow waitress at the local grub hub, the oddball chatterbox Ruby (Leila Bennett) even makes a passing comment to her beau about Frederic Marc though Joe E. Brown is still here personal favorite. She also confessed to falling for him in real life, and maybe some of that chemistry shows. There is another scene, though, where he gets out of his taxi and goes to another driver. The women represented by Loretta Young are willing to forgive and move on but the men represented by Jimmy Cagney won't and are on course to set their lives back. Film Details Also Known As Taxi, Please!, The Blind Spot Genre Crime Action Adaptation Adventure Comedy Drama Release Date Jan 23, 1932 Premiere Information not available Production Company Warner Bros. Pictures, Inc. Distribution Company The Vitaphone Corp.; Warner Bros. Pictures, Inc. Country United States Technical Specs Duration 1h 10m Sound Not surprisingly, Jimmy's best roles were those where he could step out of his gangster persona. here to send us a message. We all know that James "Jimmy" Cagney's most famous line from his sixty-eight motion pictures was "You dirty rat! When the turf wars end, people die and revenge or forgiveness is the scorecard. |-- General Discussion: Presidency What follows are dates at the picture show which provides some free publicity including a weepy starring Donald Cook and a poster for The Mad Genius (1931) starring John Barrymore. He's not a gangster this time around but a guy on the side of the law, his law in fact, coping with hostility from others which cause his temper to constantly reach its boiling point. One of their victims is a veteran cabbie (Guy Kibbee) who isnt about to take this lying down and he guns down one of the perpetrators of injustice. Cagney said "Come out and take it, you dirty, yellow-bellied rat" in this film which in popular culture got simplified to "You dirty rat! Yes, this is the film where Warner Bros. tough guy James Cagney purportedly sneered, You dirty rat, you killed my brother! I remember hearing the line in everything from The Monkees to M*A*S*H and it no doubt showed up in just about every show from here to eternity. The film includes a famous, and often misquoted, line with Cagney speaking to his brother's killer through a locked closet: "Come out and take it, you dirty yellow-bellied rat, or I'll give it to you through the door!" This line has often been misquoted as "You dirty rat, you killed my . If he is serious on the matter, why not give Greco Belgica absolute immunity from suit, if that is at all possible since I have witnessed members of Congress pressure witnesses to violate Confidentiality Agreements. While Mike Defensor is a senior member of Congress, I expected no less than Speaker Lord Allan Velasco to speak and act on the matter, nonetheless its good that someone in Congress actually stood to speak on the matter. Allstar / Warner Bros. Jimmy alongside Humphrey Bogart in The Roaring Twenties,. |-- Topic Forums Ted, give John a hand. | Home Spectacular. This movie was made famous because it was a good gangster movie, but also because it started a . is indubitably parked in the pantheon of misquotes and few people probably realize it. You killed my brother! One of their victims is a veteran cabbie (Guy Kibbee) who isn't about to take this lying down and he guns down one of the perpetrators of injustice. Members: Got a message for Democratic Underground? The simple explanation: The Transatlantic accent, as this accent is called, was often taught in upper-class boarding schools in New England. Like some other films based on unsuccessful plays - Casablanca, The Lion in Winter - Sinner's Holiday was a success although it was only about an hour long. newspaper article title: "All Quiet on Taxicab Front", Officer says "OK OK Buster" in a "you dirty rat" tone of voice. Allan, the pilot, mimics Cagney, including the "you dirty rat" line. Instead in Casablanca, Humphrey said, "You played it for her.